Whether you’re here for a day or a week, there’s plenty to do! Here are our top ten must-do experiences when visiting Tenterfield.
1. Climb Bald Rock (the largest exposed granite monolith in Australia) and be rewarded with awe-inspiring 360° views over the surrounding bushland.
2. Visit the Tenterfield Saddler on High Street – operated as a saddlery until 1960 and immortalised for the rest of the world in 1972 by Tenterfield-born Aussie entertainment legend, Peter Allen (the grandson of saddler George Woolnough) through his well-known song ‘Tenterfield Saddler’. The saddlery was no stranger to famous faces, with iconic Australian bush poet and author, Banjo Patterson, being a regular visitor during his time in Tenterfield in the early 1900s.
3. Uncover Tenterfield’s rich history and heritage, as you step back in time to explore the lovingly preserved Railway Station, Sir Henry Parkes School of Arts and Centenary Cottage museums. Tip: Download the Soundtrails app to your smart phone or tablet and listen to stories of a bygone era while exploring the history of this Federation town (allow approx. 1 hour).
4. Take a scenic country drive and marvel at Granite Country formations and rocky outcrops. A popular route is along Kildare and Mt Mackenzie Roads, where you can marvel at Doctors Nose, Little Bald Rock and Draining Rock. Mt Mackenzie Lookout also offers a great picnic spot and BBQ area.
5. Get back to basics and connect with nature. Go camping, hiking, swimming or fishing while you discover national parks, World Heritage rainforests, woodlands, gorges, granite formations, fern gullies and more.
7. Discover boutique shopping gems when you explore Tenterfield’s popular Rouse Street retail strip and surrounds.
8. Be spoilt for choice with a myriad of cafés, restaurants, and hearty country pubs welcoming you to taste your way around the region, as you discover local food, wine, beer and other delicacies.
9. Tee off at one of the finest country golf courses in Australia boasting picturesque greens and magnificent views.